From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Concrete dobies

Dave,
I have seen many methods and attempts of providing the clearance for the

bottom steel reinforcing in foundations.  Dobies are by far and away the

best method for providing that clearance.  They are not block outs.
Anything
you provide for maintaining clearance can provide a path for moisture
migration.  Dobies are the most apt to be placed correctly and less
subject
to problems of potential workmanship errors.

This is more from field observations than official studies or behind the

desk research.  It may be anecdotal in nature, but it is good anecdotal
research.

Dobies are decidedly better than empty beer cans and a lot less tragic
than
full beer cans.

How many of us know how often block outs for hand rail posts are
provided by
aluminum cans about 45.3% of the time? (OK I made up the percent
number;>)

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: "Dave Adams" <davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Concrete dobies
>Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:32:56 -0700
>
>Hello list,
>
>Is anyone aware of reports or testing of concrete foundation members
>where reinforcing has been raised above the soil by dobies?  It's done
>all the time and I've never really given it much thought, but it sure
>seems like they provide a nice little path for moisture to infiltrate
>and corrode the reinforcing steel since they seem to essentially become

>"block-outs" in the member.
>
>Any thoughts?  W.A.G.'s?
>
>Dave K. Adams, S.E.
>Lane Engineers, Inc.
>Tulare, CA
>E-mail:  davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from
McAfee(r)