heritage bldg roof

Daryl,
Sounds like you are on top of things and doing pretty standard practice. Usually the simplest solution is the best and most economical. I would not feel too good walking away from those types of cracks in the roof, putting steel underneath and supporting the slab at mid span sounds like a very good plan. You will be halfing the span which will reduce the slab deflection by 1/4, not to mention the allowable slab load. I would think that adding slab to the top may be overkill, but I have not seen pics or with my own eyes, sometimes that makes a totally different impression.

Regards,
Andrew Kester, PE
Structural Engineering Consultant
Lake Mary, FL