A325 bolts - nuts not fully engaging threads

Anyone:

I had a question posed to me about a project using A325 bolts where the threads are not being fully engaged at some of the joints.  This is apparently occurring at some brace connections [designed under old building code] that are required to be fully pre-tensioned because they are resisting seismic forces and at beam connections that are allowed to be bearing connections.

I know the RCSC spec says bolts are supposed to be long enough fully engage the nuts but what are the strength issues involved with having bolts to short to fully engage nuts for: direction tension connections, connections that resist seismic forces in shear, bearing shear plate connections?

Thanks.