RE: A325 bolts - nuts not fully engaging threads

From: Haan, Scott M POA [mailto:Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 10:43 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: A325 bolts - nuts not fully engaging threads

I know the RCSC spec says bolts are supposed to be long enough fully engage the nuts but what are the strength issues involved with having bolts to short to fully engage nuts for: direction tension connections, connections that resist seismic forces in shear, bearing shear plate connections?

Does it really matter, except perhaps for issues of “criticality,” whether the connections are for resisting seismic forces or not?

If the threads aren’t fully engaged, the connections don’t meet the RCSC specification.

It seems rather simple to me.

(N.B. I rather suspect that it would be difficult to get a reliable gauge as to “what percent” of the bolt is effective in this instance; just as, in my experience at least, using a torque wrench as an indicator of bolt pretension is useless particularly with galvanized fasteners).