New York Code Appendix K

I'm looking at a New York structure rehab project.  I understand that Appendix K of the NY Code addresses and dictates the amount of structural investigation and work required.  Does anyone know the basic intent of this section?

The building is a 3-story brick shell with mostly wood interior walls and floors.  The work includes change of use, new apartments in vacant space, shifting bearing walls, replacing an entire floor where one was once removed, adding stair towers and an elevator shaft.  I'm suspecting that this may require a seismic retrofit, as well as an in-depth analysis of existing components.

I don't have time or the money to buy the NY code just to make this one determination, as it is only to determine feasibility at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Wilson
Stroudsburg, PA