From: Kestner, James W. [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: IBC Fire Walls and Seismic Code

Matthew:

The term "weak link" comes from the Canadian Code reference. I think of
"fusible link" as the mechanism that allows fire doors to close during a
fire event.

Where can one obtain technical info. on "Nylatron" bolts?

A question comes to mind that if the fire (away from the wall) causes a
collapse and the bolts on each side of the wall are under similar
temperature and stress, bolts on each side may break or melt at similar
times even though the desire is to have bolts only on the fire side
break or melt.

This is an area of the code that in recent time has become very
important but yet info. is very limited. Our profession is in need of
some additional research in this area.

Jim K.