RE: A325 bolts - nuts not fully engaging threads

I was taught to look for two threads beyond the nut since the first couple are slightly tapered. Is this in any spec.?

Michel Blangy
-----Original Message-----
From: Carter, Charlie [mailto:carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 9:07 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: A325 bolts - nuts not fully engaging threads

The height of the nut is selected to develop the strength of the bolt, but that presumes the point of the bolt is st least flush with the surface of the nut. Since the various methods of pretensioning A325 and A490 bolts actually elongates the bolt slightly, I suspect you will some thread stripping during installation with partially engaged nuts.

Even if you didn’t strip threads during installation, the strength calculations for partial engagement can be complex. The strength in tension may now be controlled by the stripping mechanism, which is a much more variable mechanism than bolt tension failure. The shear strength of the bolt is unaffected, but it still seems like a bad practice to allow improperly selected components. I’d suggest that they go buy bolts of the right length.

How did they wind up with short bolts anyway?

Charlie