From: "Dave Handy" <dhandy(--nospam--at)trg.ca>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Admixtures for Concrete Clarifier Tank - further thoughts
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:09:24 -0400

In addition to Harold's comments about using the plasticizers/water reducers, we have noted that the mix shall be designed for a slump of 1.5" and then super-p added to increase the slump to 4"+/-1". I used to think that the w/c ratio would cover it to reduce the water added and then found they would increase both the water and the cement content to increase the slump instead of using super-p. The w/c ratio would still be ok but you would then have more water and cement in the mix that would lead to more shrinkage. Any thoughts on this procedure?

We have stayed away from fly ash because we had a bad experience on a big job with quality control. The strength and slumps were all over the map. This was probably an isolated case but it has soured us on using it.

Dave Handy, P.Eng.