RE: A325 bolts - nuts not fully engaging threads

I may be wrong, but I think the 2 thread beyond the bolt comes from an ASME specification such as for bolted pipe flanges.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Carter, Charlie" <carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org>
04/27/2006 12:53 PM
Please respond to seaint
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: A325 bolts - nuts not fully engaging threads

No, but it is a pervasive wives’ tale. The nut size already accounts for the taper to make it all as easy as could be.

Charlie