From: Gary Loomis <gloomis(--nospam--at)MasterEngineersinc.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Saturday, 29 April, 2006 7:09:25 PM
Subject: RE: seismic text

I strongly recommend a seminar that I recently attended in Richmond, Virginia.  Fundamentals of Earthquake Engineering and Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering in the Central and Eastern US presented by Dr. Finley Charney and Dr. James Martin from Virginia Tech.  They not only explained the how's but the why's.  Both are involved with Center for Extreme Load Effects on Structures (CELES) and World Institute of Disaster Risk Management at VT.

www.ecsus.cee.vt.edu/01_about/martin_resume.htm
www.drm.ictas.vt.edu/index.html
www.cee.vt.edu/people/fcharney.html
www.celes.ictas.vt.edu/

Dr. Charney has done 2 day and 4 day seminars on earthquake engineering (4 day for FEMA).  He has one scheduled for this fall in Washington, DC.

Free documents include FEMA 350, 450, and 451.  All you need to do is call and request the documents and request a CD.  (800) 480-2520.  FEMA 350 discusses the Northridge earthquake.  My understanding is 450 provides the requirements similar to ASCE 7 and 451 is a commentary.  I have not seen the documents, only heard this.

Dr. Charney is tasked with writing a commentary for ASCE 7 I think.

Hope this helps.

Gary Loomis, PE
Master Engineers and Designers, Inc.
gloomis(--nospam--at)MasterEngineersInc.com