From: Robert E Shaw Jr [mailto:rshaw(--nospam--at)steelstructures.com]
Sent: Sun 4/30/2006 12:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Welding in Freezers

AWS D1.1 has two applicable sections. One - ambient temperature is to be above 0F. See 5.12.2. Two - steel temperature in the vicinity of welding is to be a minimum of 32F, and if below 32F, heat to at least 70F and maintain at or above 70F until complete. See Table 3.2, footnote a.

Are you considering doing more repair and wondering how to address these two code provisions, or concerned that the existing welds may be poor because they (perhaps) were not done in accordance with code?

Bob Shaw

SSTC