RE: elevator support / walls requirements

Per IBC 2000 ed. section 1607.8.1, all loads shall be increased by 100 percent for impact...  See ASME A17.1 - it includes lots of info.
-----Original Message-----
From: jerold taylor [mailto:jerold_taylor(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 9:44 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: elevator support / walls requirements

Thanks to all for their input ....

Daryl ... it is an existing installation ... but it is an industrial client, so I am unsure how thorough their record keeping has been relative to vendor information.   My site visit is mid-week, so I was hoping to get some idea as to what I may run into .... I am not sure what the inspector's concerns are, so I was hoping to get some info as to reference materials, guides and codes prior to going there ....

If any others have some general suggestions as to reference material I would appreciate it ... sorry for the vagueness (not know yet what the specific concern is.

Jerold Taylor PE

Daryl Richardson <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca> wrote:
Jerold,

        You're in luck.  I just happen to be in the middle of designing an elevator shaft right now.  What I have to work with is a set of elevator manufacturer's shop drawings.  These drawings indicate all loads, shaft dimensions, and just about everything you should need to know about the elevator.  Your building code in force probably tells you what minimum impact factor(s) you need to consider for designing the supporting components of the building.  But that's only the beginning!!

        You have a whole lot of loading that may (or may not) be applied to the elevator shaft by the building.  To assess that loading you need to answer the following questions.
  1. Are the elevator walls acting as bearing walls to support the floors of your building and if so what are the loads from each level on each wall of the elevator shaft?
  2. Are the elevator shaft walls acting as shear walls to provide lateral support for the building and if so what are the loads from each level on each wall of the elevator shaft?
        If you're evaluating an existing installation the elevator manufacturer and the service company providing services usually have good filing systems (good as in keeping the information for a long long time).

        Evaluating the lateral loads from the building may require you to completely analyze the building's entire lateral load resisting system.

        Hope this helps.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson