Re: T1-11 siding

I agree with Bob Freeman's comments.  In addition I'd like to add that the T1-11 I've seen, that people want to cover up, is in pretty poor shape and often has nails that have extricated themselves, apparently due to temperature cycling.  They're sticking 3/4 out of the plywood.  In order to resolve the issues Bob mentions you would have to remove the siding.  Then you'll need to renail the siding to seismic/wind standards.  And you still end up with plywood that was made to be siding, not the Structural I grade that's recommended for shear walls around here.  And it would only be adequate for low shears due to the typical 2x framing behind it.  And I think you'd always wonder if the new nails hit the studs.

I suppose all this might work in low seismic areas, but in my high seismic area I've never seen it done and feel the best solution is to remove the T1-11, make whatever improvements are needed to the framing, apply proper new structural sheathing, then add stucco or whatever finish is desired.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA