Re: CA Exam Requirements in '07

Jake seems to be referring to the Special Civil Seismic exam (for the PE in
CA) which is currently based on the CBC.  It might take BORPELS
(www.dca.ca.gov/pels) about 6 months to 1 year to test on the new exam after
its implementation.  Since IBC is a major change BORPELS might need time to
change their exams.

If I remember the 1997 UBC which was a major update came into effect in CA
as 1998 CBC and was adopted around June 1998.  The new format of the exam
was used in Oct 1999 or even later.

Based on this scenario, if the 2007 CBC is mandated by June 2007 (which does
not seem to the case), it might not be until oct 2008 for the change in
exam.

Since the release date of the CBC is unknown, even the Board cannot possibly
provide a better answer.  You might try to contact them at (from
http://www.dca.ca.gov/pels/contacts.htm )
--------------------------
Staff Engineers
Susan Christ, P.E. (Civil) - (916) 263-2247 or Susan_Christ(--nospam--at)dca.ca.gov

I would suggest that you give a shot at it now rather than wait another 2
years unless you are trying for the SE license.  The basic is still the
same, it is just the route to get to it is being changed in the IBC.

Hope this helps.

- Aswin
Aswin Rangswamy, P.E.
Los Angeles, California