RE: SEMANTICS: Def. of "Joist" vs. "Beam"

My Dictionary of Building Terms says a joist is "one of a series of
parallel beams used to support a floor or roof".  I would say that a
joist is a beam but a beam may not be a joist; a series of closely
spaced beams generally are referred to as joists.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311