Re: Firewall Design Philosophy - - Was "The weakest link"

Daryl (& others):

I have to say that in reality, this is NOT a new issue.  It has been
around for quite a while.  Firewalls (i.e. that must stay structurally
standing if either side collapses) have been in the BOCA code since at
least the early 90s if not late 80s.  My first major project on which I
was the "project engineer" (i.e. doing most of the design with close
monitoring by my boss) out of school in the early 90s was a good sized
medical office building.  Due to its size, construction type/fire
protection system, and fire truck access, it was determined by the
architect that we had to put in a joint in the building and at that joint
do a firewall.  The result was that I designed a double firewall system.

I have encountered other similar such situations over the years.  Usually,
such projects involve an addition to an existing building but there are
times where it is all new construction.  Had one instance where there was
again a building seperation joint, but this was largely due to the two
different funcitons of the two part of the structure...front part was
office and the back part was a large garage area for testing.

In general, it has been my experience that a double wall system is
generally the "best" and easiest solution.  Doing a cantilevered system
(either where the wall cantilevers vertically or where piers cantilever
vertically with the wall spanning horizontally between piers...assuming
masonry wall construction) usually gets somewhat impractical pretty quick
if the building is more than one taller than normal story.  And I have
never really "bought" the idea of the fusible (i.e. melting clips) link
system.

The biggest issue I have encountered is what lateral load should the
firewall be designed to resist.  It certainly needs to be designed to
resist typical internal pressures (i.e. 5 to 10 psf typically), but some
argue that it must resist full wind pressures...after all if one side of
the structure collapses, then that firewall is now technically an external
wall.  I have been in some long winded debates on this issue.  In the end,
my experience has been that the arguement of just using an internal
pressure is what makes the most sense...plus I believe that is what the
NCMA Tek Notes recommends, if I recall correctly.  But, even 5 to 10 psf
can make something like a cantilevered wall pretty impractical pretty
quick if has any real height.

So, from my experience, I have learned that in general the best solution
is to have a double wall.  Of course, it is generally NOT a perfect
solution as you now have to accommidate a thicker wall, figure out how to
handle penetrations (i.e. do you need double doors?), increased cost due
to more material labor (i.e. if masonry, you are now laying two walls...on
the plus side, it might be two walls of 6 or 8 inch block rather than one
wall of 12 inch block with a crap load of reinforcement), etc.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI