RE: SEMANTICS: Def. of "Joist" vs. "Beam"

To confuse the situation a little more, in panelized roof systems we usually
refer to the 2x4's that frame between purlins as "sub-purlins." The purlins,
in turn, frame into, take your pick, beams or girders.

Mark E. Deardorff, Structural Engineer
Burkett & Wong
San Diego, CA