Re: SEMANTICS: Def. of "Joist" vs. "Beam"

I kinda like the spanning thingy because most of the
public would know what we are talking about. Only
engineers would get into this type of discussion--this
body included because for two days I have been thinking
about the old ship-building industry where a lot of
these terms originated and they came from the Vikings
and Anglo-Saxons (no French words that I know of
because they were too busy rioting). This reminds me of
a secretary who once said "I don't know the difference
between sand and silt and I don't give a S**T.
Gary