SEMANTICS: Def. of "Joist" vs. "Beam"

I don't particularly like "spanning thingy" but it's probably better than "joist" because so many people don't seem to be able to say it in the plural without adding a syllable at the end, as in "joist-es".  The s-t-s series at the end gives them trouble, I guess.

And they're able to say "plum" but not "co-lumn", rather they must say "co-loom".  And "masonary".

I strongly oppose "anti-gravity mechanism" in favor of "gravity restraint mechanism".

Andy Rooney (not really)

Gary Hodgson & Associates <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca> wrote:
I kinda like the spanning thingy because most of the
public would know what we are talking about. Only
engineers would get into this type of discussion--this
body included because for two days I have been thinking
about the old ship-building industry where a lot of
these terms originated and they came from the Vikings
and Anglo-Saxons (no French words that I know of
because they were too busy rioting). This reminds me of
a secretary who once said "I don't know the difference
between sand and silt and I don't give a S**T.
Gary