Re: SEMANTICS: Def. of "Joist" vs. "Beam"

In other words it's all relative.  A 4x8 could be a joist (if say 24" oc) or a beam (if say it supports smaller members, which would be called joists).

I disagree that there can't be wood or concrete girders.  The "main horizontal support of a structure"  could be one of those, and if it supports beams I think I would call it a girder.

What started this waste of time?  :)

Ralph