Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: SEMANTICS: Def. of "Joist" vs. "Beam"

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
In other words it's all relative.  A 4x8 could be a joist (if say 24" oc) or a beam (if say it supports smaller members, which would be called joists). 

I disagree that there can't be wood or concrete girders.  The "main horizontal support of a structure"  could be one of those, and if it supports beams I think I would call it a girder.

What started this waste of time?  :)


In a message dated 5/3/06 10:04:44 AM, jpriley485(--nospam--at) writes:
A joist, in architecture and engineering, is one of the horizontal supporting members that run from wall to wall, wall to beam or beam to beam, to support a ceiling, roof (or floor). It may be made of wood, steel or concrete. Typically a beam is bigger than a joist and thus is distinguished from a joist. Joists will often be supported by beams. Joists support the sub-floor (floor deck) directly.

A girder is a large
iron or steel support beam used in construction. They often have an I beam cross section for strength. Girder is the term used to denote the main horizontal support of a structure.