Building Settlement - Las Vegas

Comments?

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates Inc.
Houston, Texas
P: 832.467.2177
M: 281.450.8426

-----Original Message-----

We are investigating settlement of a building in Las Vegas.  The buildings that have settled are on the order of 40 years old - the settlement is reportedly a relatively recent phenomenon - starting within the last five or six years.  A new building was constructed adjacent to the older buildings, however, the construction was only a couple of years ago, after the settlement had already started.

The settlement is significant - in some locations on the order of 6 or more inches.

Two recent geotech studies identify gypsum in the soils and note that the gypsum can go into suspension if water is present.

Anyone have any experience with something similar?