From: Garner, Robert [mailto:rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:48 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Machine vs. Human

I think it is in progress now.  Some call it BIM, Building Information Modelling.  The Engineer prepares his 3-d computer model (in Staad or whatever).  When member sizes and structural performance is satisfactory, he gives the files to the steel detailer, who, using a program like SDS, can prepare fabrication and erection drawings directly from the Staad files.

I don't know where the architectural is during this process.  Maybe we've lost the architects along the way?

Bob Garner, S.E.