Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Lag Bolts

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
According to my construction dictionaries:
a) "carriage" and "coach" screws are the same type of hardware.
b) "coach screw" is a more British term.
b) "coach" and "lag" screws terms can be used interchangeably.
IMHO, the almost ultimate authority on these issues is Hugh Brooks - the only SE I know who wrote a published - "real" - construction dictionary.  Several years ago Hugh promised a new edition - I am not sure what happened to it.
Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 1969 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: Lag Bolts

On May 4, 2006, at 3:15 PM, S. Gordin wrote:

> Similarly, those bolts were used in coaches - hence another name for
> them - coach bolts/screws.
I think you're referring to carriage bolts, nothing much like lag
screws. Carriage bolts have a rectangular section under the head which
mashes into wood so the bolt won't turn and disengage. Lag screws are
basically a type of wood screw.
Christopher Wright P.E.    |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
chrisw(--nospam--at)       | this distance"   (last words of Gen.
____________________| John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864)

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
*   site at:
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********