RE: seismic text

OK

   _____

From: Gary Loomis [mailto:gloomis(--nospam--at)MasterEngineersinc.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 2:09 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: seismic text

I strongly recommend a seminar that I recently attended in Richmond,
Virginia.  Fundamentals of Earthquake Engineering and Geotechnical
Earthquake Engineering in the Central and Eastern US presented by Dr. Finley
Charney and Dr. James Martin from Virginia Tech.  They not only explained
the how's but the why's.  Both are involved with Center for Extreme Load
Effects on Structures (CELES) and World Institute of Disaster Risk
Management at VT.

HYPERLINK
"http://www.ecsus.cee.vt.edu/01_about/martin_resume.htm"www.ecsus.cee.vt.edu
/01_about/martin_resume.htm

HYPERLINK
"http://www.drm.ictas.vt.edu/index.html"www.drm.ictas.vt.edu/index.html

HYPERLINK
"http://www.cee.vt.edu/people/fcharney.html"www.cee.vt.edu/people/fcharney.h
tml

HYPERLINK "http://www.celes.ictas.vt.edu/"www.celes.ictas.vt.edu/

Dr. Charney has done 2 day and 4 day seminars on earthquake engineering (4
day for FEMA).  He has one scheduled for this fall in Washington, DC.

Free documents include FEMA 350, 450, and 451.  All you need to do is call
and request the documents and request a CD.  (800) 480-2520.  FEMA 350
discusses the Northridge earthquake.  My understanding is 450 provides the
requirements similar to ASCE 7 and 451 is a commentary.  I have not seen the
documents, only heard this.

Dr. Charney is tasked with writing a commentary for ASCE 7 I think.

Hope this helps.

Gary Loomis, PE

Master Engineers and Designers, Inc.

HYPERLINK
"mailto:gloomis(--nospam--at)MasterEngineersInc.com"gloomis(--nospam--at)MasterEngineersInc.com

   _____