Re: Machine vs. Human

> From: "Wontae Kim" <kimwontae(--nospam--at)email.com>

> When do you think that  =91machines=92 will replace human being=92s works?

It is already a reality. People are replaced as the technology becomes
more sophisticated and the economics support the change.

> I am working in the precast concrete industry.
>
> Recently I noticed some engineers and companies had been developing
> softwares, which may change whole construction business environments.

This is the an ideal industry for automation. I have been involved in a
project for a recently completed state-of-the-art facility. This is not
a new trend. Most equipment was European design.

> Many people believe  these programs, using 3-D model, generate all shop
> drawings (drafting and checking) including  engineering
> design/calculation, and BOMs, when required data are entered.

> When do you think that this =91holistic=92 system is possible?

> How much do you think these efforts have been accomplished?

We are capable, now. It costs money to develop the "tools" and this will
affect transition. As long as there exists the ability to manufacture
with human hands in some part of the world for less than the investment
in technology, the robots will have to wait.

> PS: Personally I would like to hear those who are very familiar with
> European construction market, because I believe this is happening in
> Europe first, if this is possible in near future.

Higher personnel costs in Europe than North America. It is bound to
happen there first.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International