From: "Sherman, William" <ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Admixtures for Concrete Clarifier Tank - fly ash
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 23:34:11 -0400

I would have to disagree with using 15% as the "maximum" for fly ash
content.  Actually, I use 15% as a "minimum" when fly ash is used and
25% as the maximum.  In some tests, fly ash has had a detrimental effect
on sulfate resistance of concrete when less than 15% fly ash was used,
but sulfate resistance was improved when the content was in excess of
15%.  (I've recently heard that the lower limit should be 20%.)

I normally use fly ash as a 1:1 replacement for cement.  Although I have
not yet adopted changes in curing requirements (from 7 days curing time)
when fly ash is used vs straight cement, I have sometimes toyed with the
idea of extending curing time to 10 days or more due to the slower
strength gain of fly ash.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO