RE: Moments in wood structures

Title: Moments in wood structures

The Simpson Catalog says “Post bases do not provide adequate resistance to prevent members from rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports).”  Haven’t seen any similar comment about the post caps.

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying