Re: Masonry lintel design

Bill:

If you are planning on using an actual lintel shape block (i.e. the "U"
cross section shape), then I would use a cover of no less than around 3".
Considering your typical 8" block has a face shell of 1 1/4" and a 12"
block as a face shell of 1 1/2", it makes sense to me that the bottom
"shell" of a lintel block will be about 1 1/2" or so.  At is at least 1/2"
clear space for grout plus thickness of the bar, you end up with 2.5 to 3
inches of cover to center of bar.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI