From: Jim Wilson
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: Slab on Grade Vapor Retarder Design

Nels,

For vapor barrier thickness, ACI 302.1R recommends a minimum thickness of 10mils.  The minimum thickness here in IBC land is only 6 mils.

ASTM E1745 defines three classes of vapor barrier, A, B and C.  Class A has the highest tensile and puncture resistance of the three, while C has the lowest.  All three have the same water-vapor permeance of 0.3 perms.

ASTM E1643 presents standard placement procedures for vapor barriers.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

Nels Roselund <njineer(--nospam--at)att.net> wrote:
I need a reference for the design of a vapor retarder under a concrete slab
on grade.

I understand that a layer of sand over a plastic vapor retarder as
protection against construction traffic damage is no longer recommended due
to the tendency for the sand between the plastic vapor retarder and the slab
to become a reservoir for water that may damage a moisture sensitive floor
covering. I understand that the current practice is to place the concrete
slab directly onto the vapor retarder. What is the recommended appropriate
mil-weight for the traffic-resistant plastic sheet, or where can I find a
reference that provides guidance for selecting the appropriate plastic
sheet?

Nels Roselund, SE
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net