From: "Nels Roselund" <njineer(--nospam--at)att.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Slab on Grade Vapor Retarder Design
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 17:52:41 -0700

I need a reference for the design of a vapor retarder under a concrete slab
on grade.

I understand that a layer of sand over a plastic vapor retarder as
protection against construction traffic damage is no longer recommended due
to the tendency for the sand between the plastic vapor retarder and the slab
to become a reservoir for water that may damage a moisture sensitive floor
covering.  I understand that the current practice is to place the concrete
slab directly onto the vapor retarder.  What is the recommended appropriate
mil-weight for the traffic-resistant plastic sheet, or where can I find a
reference that provides guidance for selecting the appropriate plastic
sheet?

Nels Roselund, SE
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net