Hip Roof Questions (conventional wood framing)

Dear Listers,

I am in a quandry, and have been here for some time.  I have seen many hip
roofs, even some with a valley intersecting where the hip hits the ridge,
constructed without a post.

I normally calculate all hips as beams and all valleys as beams (the
procedue I uses shows that a valley beam receives twice the load of a hip).
I always design a post to support the end reaction of the hip and/or valley
beam.

This is long-winded, but I am getting to it.  Could someone please tell me,
based on the code, when it is OK not to support a hip, or a valley, with a
post?  A parallel question is: when is a hip a hip board, and not a hip
beam?

Thanks,

Don