RE: retail center lateral system (3 sided masonry)

I thought that there were provisions to the diaphragm span ratio.  But, the only thing I found in 2003 IBC is in the empirical masonry design section (2109), which limits the span ratio to 2:1 for metal decking.  I think that's the first thing that hit me when I read your original post.  I would suggest adding making an interior partition structural, either masonry or a steel brace (chevron or x-brace) to reduce the span of the roof diaphragm...
Good luck convincing your co-worker...
DT

Brian <bsh117(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Thanks for all the input!!

I have previously designed three sided structures with
the torsion being resisted by the end shear walls with
the resulting couple force. However, on this project,
I am concerned with the 300 ft dimension. The
building just "feels" too long for this type of
analysis.

Thanks again for all your input!