From: Donald R. Bryant, PE [mailto:dbryant61(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 9:14 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Hip Roof Questions (conventional wood framing)

Dear Listers,

I am in a quandry, and have been here for some time.  I have seen many
hip roofs, even some with a valley intersecting where the hip hits the
ridge, constructed without a post.

I normally calculate all hips as beams and all valleys as beams (the
procedue I uses shows that a valley beam receives twice the load of a
hip). I always design a post to support the end reaction of the hip
and/or valley beam.

This is long-winded, but I am getting to it.  Could someone please tell
me, based on the code, when it is OK not to support a hip, or a valley,
with a post?  A parallel question is: when is a hip a hip board, and not
a hip beam?

Thanks,

Don