Re: Diaphragm ratio for rigid diaphragm

Joe,
I don't know if you've found your answer yet, but the only thing I can see in the 2003 IBC is Sect 2305.2.5, which discusses rigid "wood" diaphragms.  Your garage doesn't meet that criteria...
I'd be curious how you resolve this, or if someone points you in a better direction.
HTH (but, probably didn't...)
DT

Joe Grill <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com> wrote:
I have a garage with a concrete deck at the roof.  The garage dimensions are 24â??x42â?? with a 20â?? opening centered at one of the 24â?? end walls.  Is there a ratio limit for a rigid diaphragm which is basically open ended(the center of rigidity is within the back 24â?? wall)?  This one is 1.75:1 transferring wind load to the back 24â?? long wall.
Thanks,
Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)
Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.