Re: stich weld

On May 11, 2006, at 9:47 PM, untung.sirait(--nospam--at)ppgs.ikpt.com wrote:

Can anybody give some reference or guidelines about stich weld, I found this tipe of weld inside a vessel to connect a tray to the vessel.
See Blodgett's books. Stitch welds are properly called intermittent welds. They save some time and reduce distortion (by reducing heat input) but small welds characteristically are sources of fatigue cracking originating at the beginning and end of the fillets. There are fatigue sensitive applications where they aren't permitted. I don't think they should be used on pressure vessels, but it happens.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com       | this distance"   (last words of Gen.