Re: retail center lateral system (3 sided masonry)

Thanks everyone for the replies and input.  As
expected, there is support for both lateral resisting
solutions.

I guess that I'm just a bit conservative in my
thinking.  It's been my belief that in order to
analyze the deck to transfer the torsional loads to
the NS walls (short walls), the deck would have to be
considered rigid.  I've always considered 1.5" wide
rib roof deck (without concrete topping) to be
considered flexible.  I'm investigating the "Diaphragm
flexibility limitation" tables found in the ICBO
reports to justify the deck stiffness, but I've never
looked at these tables before.

I haven't run the analysis, but maybe cantilevering
the deck from the back wall wouldn't be a big deal
since the building is 300'x90'.  Like any cantilever
system, I get worried about deflection.  Especially,
since the cantilevered end side has glass.

I also thought about an expansion joint when first saw
the length of the building.  But, this lateral
discussion put that on the back burner.  I believe,
without running the numbers, that the temp differences
don't neccesitate an expansion joint for the deck.

Thanks again!
Brian