Column to Column via End Plate

This is the scenario.

Existing structure with W14x120 Corner Columns.  There is a beam that connects all of the columns at their top.

A new structure will be built above the existing structure.  The corner column of the existing structure are in line with that of the new structure (common center line).  New corner columns are W12x53.

The base of the new column is a shear connection to that of the old one.

My solution is to weld a cap plate to the existing column.  The new corner column will weld to that cap plate.

My question is:
What should I use for a design thickness of this steel plate???  I can't seem to find the provisions for this anywhere, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.  I'd appreciate some help.

Sincerely,
Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming