RE: Nonlinear Static Analysis of RC buildings

Carlos:

Try looking to ATC-40  (Applied Technology Council) - this document is specifically set up to guide the process of analyzing existing structures for seismic loading, but it can be used for new buildings as well.

For text references, I recommend Paulay and Priestley's book on reinforced concrete design for seismic resistance (also includes a chapter on CMU).  This is a VERY comprehensive book, so you'll need to spend some time on it.

IMO, it is essential that the fundamentals outlined in these two references (or others, since there are a number of them) BEFORE attempting to use a nonlinear analysis program, since assumptions have to be made, and an understanding of the assumptions is needed for interpretation of the results.

As far as using a pushover analysis for R/C, this is a standard approach based on my experience.  You need to assume a hinge length, say double the depth of the member, and all plastic action is confined to that length.  Of course, for an existing structure, this can be a bit difficult under certain circumstances with regard to development lengths, extra bars etc.  You'll need to have a section analysis program or spreadsheet that will let you get the moment-curvature relationship for each member, which can get complicated for columns that take a fair amount of load from overturning.

In fact, I prefer pushover to dynamic, since dynamic requires an assuption for ground motion - which ground motion record should be used (unless you are doing a forensic job and happen to have the ground motion records) - this applies doubly to design of a new building.  A pushover analysis tells a lot about the sequence of hinge formation, and I have used it to drive a certain, preferred, sequence since I can double check whether the sequence will be followed or not.  With a good section analysis utility, distribution of reinforcement (even for walls) can be adequately accounted for.

Regarding your question on linear code forces versus nonlinear response, refer to Paulay and Priestley as they have a good discussion on this.  Numerous books have been written on this subject, and it would take a very long email to explain that sufficiently (at least IMO).

-Tiger

Terangue *Tiger* Gillham, PE
GK2, Inc.
PO Box 8061, Koror, Palau 96940
Phone: (680) 488-7282 office
             779-6051 cellular
tiger(--nospam--at)palaunet.com <mailto:tiger(--nospam--at)palaunet.com>