Re: Attic ventilation from fans

On May 15, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Drew Morris wrote:

After the original construction, there was an attempt to add increased attic ventilation with the installation of the vertical spherical fans found on top of buildings. The turbines don't appear to be powered and get more active as the day gets longer and the sun heats up the attic space.
in Minnesota you used to see a lot of these things installed to improved attic venting due to heat leaks. You don't see them much any more, and the CW here is that they don't work all that well. They look like they're don't all sorts of stuff, but they aren't. I'm told that they really can't keep up with moist air leaks through attic bypasses. We ventilated the living hell out of our attic to try to deal with ice dams caused by warm air leaking through open walls, but it never really worked. Once we got the heat leaks shut down the ice dams weren't a problem.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/