Railings at tops of ladders to roofs

Where there is a ladder to a roof, I sometimes see a railing on either side of the ladder for a short distance along the edge of the roof.  While I understand the "its a good idea" aspect of this practice, does anyone know of any specific requirement for this railing?  I have seen it short (maybe 2') and I have seen it long (maybe 8').  4' to 6' seems to be more common though.   I have not seen anything in OSHA about this, but it might be covered in a different version of OSHA than the one I am looking at.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.

LVTA
1584 Weaversville Road