From: Haan, Scott M POA [mailto:Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:23 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: axial braking load for bridges

I have a old structural engineering manual and I thought I read in there that it said that bridge foundations need to be designed for an axial breaking load equal to 25% or 30% of the live load neglecting impact.  Is this right?  Where is this located in the AASHTO Bridge Design Specifications.

Thanks.
Scott.