SEISMIC FORCE -DISCONTINUITY

List,

UBC/CBC Section 1630.8.2, IBC Section 1617.1.1.2 similar.

"Em need not exceed the maximum force that can be transferred to the element by the lateral-force-resisting system."

Suppose I have a shear wall that collects 1000 lbs of shear, ASD, as calcualted based upon the applicable (not special, UBC 1612.4) load combinations.  What - if any - limitation it imposes on the above Em calculation?

Where can I find a sensible discussion on the subject (Seismic Design Manual is as vague as the codes, and the Blue Book does not even mention the issue).

TIA,

Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA