RE: Grout/Mortar in CMU

To everybody who responded, thanks.  I will require the contractor to use grout in the cores.

Chris Towne
-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Davis [mailto:sds_rdavis(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 8:27 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Grout/Mortar in CMU

ACI 530 covers grouting in reinforced masonry and grout has an entirely different specification from mortar.  My answer is always that the code requires grout.  As a practical matter, I don't understand why a contractor would want to install mortar if he intends to do a good job.  I don't think you could do a good job of vibrating mortar like the code requires.  I think it would be a lot more work to adequately consolidate mortar. Also, the dry block would suck moisture out of the relatively dry mortar.  It seems to me that instead of retempering dry mortar to use in joints, the mason would just scrape the dry stuff into the hole and move on.

Roger Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.

Chris Towne <ctowne(--nospam--at)chaptech.com> wrote:
I have an 18' tall equipment building with reinforced 12" CMU walls. The
contractor wants to use mortar to fill the CMU cores at reinforcement
locations instead of grout. Also, the mortar will have color added to match
the block (he just wants to use one mix for everything). I've never had
this question asked before. Any comments?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Towne, P.E.
Chapman Technical Group
200 Sixth Avenue