Attic ventilation from fans - to jet engines

"The thing that's thrusted against is the inside of the engine. The
products of combustion (mostly hot air) accelerate out of the engine
nozzle. The reaction to the force which accelerates the combustion
products backward pushes the engine (and the attached airplane)
forward."

I understand that something has to be thrust against.  My problem is that a "simple" jet engine has been described to me as a tube open at both ends, except that the front end has "fans" that compress the gases within the combustion zone.  Ignition, which is evidently continuous, causes the expanding gases to exit to the rear through "fans" that drive the front "fans" via a shaft.  Seems like getting something for nothing.  Why don't the expanding gases exit through the front?

Is the concept that the tube is open at both ends incorrect?

John Riley