Re: Bow String Truss

Can you use an approximation method found in any Boy Scout manual?  Seems like a visual approximation would be far better than a rule-of-thumb approximation.  JPRiley

Rich Lewis <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com> wrote:
Is there a standard rise to run ratio that most bow string trusses would use?  I canâ??t find anything regarding this in my text books.  I have a hanger with a 120 ft. clear span.  I eyeball the truss height at 15-16 feet.  It would take rental of a lift to verify it.  I want to check the wind load on the building and would like to find a good approximation of the height.  The truss is fabricated from pipe.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to give.

Rich