Re: Attic ventilation from fans - to jet engines -- to steam locomotives :)

CW:
This must go in the negative column of the karma ledger.
JPR

Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com> wrote:

On May 17, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> And I'll admit to a tiny bit of confusion about why the steam that
> drives the pistons that drive the wheels that drive a steam locomotive
> *always* goes in the right direction and doesn't just come back out of
> the rear end and scald the engineer, or at least just push the water
> back into the tender ("coal car").� :)

You mustn't tell anyone about this since it's a trade secret. Each
steam engine came with a little Dutch boy who would stick his thumb in
a hole in the top of the cylinder and keep the steam from leaking out.
He was specially trained because he could only block the hole when the
cylinder was at bottom dead center or he'd get his thumb squashed and
it wouldn't come out and then the steam actually would blow back into
the engine cab. Lucky for us the Dutch got so much better at hydrology
so there was a surplus of little boys who would otherwise be earning
medals by sticking their thumbs into holes in dikes and not fiddling
around with steam engines.

chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org