identity theft / was: hold downs at perforated shear wall

I've told other people this offline but giving all your contact information on this list service is inviting someone in Iraq or the Ukraine or Mexico etc... to take out a home equity line of credit on your house.

From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:40 PM
To: seaint
Subject: hold downs at perforated shear wall

When using the “perforated shear wall” method of design.  The hold down force at the ends of the wall is calculated by dividing the overturning moment to the wall by an adjusted sum of the lengths of the individual lengths of full height segments.  Is this hold down force required even if there is adequate dl to restrain overturning?  And then how is the resisting moment calculated?  Seems kind of like a dumb question, but the hold down force does not use the total length of the wall, but resisting moments would, as I see it anyway.

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)