Re: Flexural reinforcement "Ad Libitum"

The minimum beam reinforcement is the minimum of 200bd/Fy or 1.33 times the required reinforcement. Therefore, a sthe depth is increased, the reinforcement will reduce.

Secondly, beyond a certain depth/width ratio, the rules for deep beam will dictate the reinforcement.

Rajendran

Jesus Gomez <jgomez(--nospam--at)schnabel-eng.com> wrote:
I have a "philosophical" question of important implication in a current
project.

I will not use real quantities. Also, I will not describe the problem
entirely and focus on a particular aspect of it. Say a beam of given
dimensions requires minimum reinforcement to handle a given bending
moment. Say that the beam is 100 in (d) by 10 in (b) and that the
minimum reinforcement is thus 3.33 in2.

For constructability, the contractor would need (not prefer) to make the
beam with d=150 in instead of 100 in

Do I need to provide now 4.95 in2 instead of 3.33 in2 ?

The typical answer is "yes". However, how can the cracks become larger
for the same moment, same steel, and a larger section? Also, if I keep
increasing the size of the section, I would need unrealistically large
amounts of reinforcement.

Just for information, I am retrofitting an existing pile cap with
additional piles (micropiles). I am providing a new "pile cap" on each
side of the existing pile cap connected by dowels, which would work as
flexural and shear reinforcement at the interface. The dimensions of the
added pile cap are pretty much defined by external factors and I only
have a limited space available for dowels.

Thank you

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org
This e-mail including attached files is confidential. Its transmission is solely as an accommodation for the benefit of the recipient. The recipient bears the responsibility for checking its accuracy against corresponding originally signed documents provided by Schnabel Engineering. If you received this e-mail in error, its use is prohibited. Please destroy it and immediately notify postmaster(--nospam--at)schnabel-eng.com