Re: Seismic Response Spectrum

On May 23, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Rich Lewis wrote:

I was wondering how this information can be utilized in an equivalent static force analysis.
These levels do look like ground accelerations--too low to be response spectrum ordinates. If it were me I'd want to verify what the accelerations really represent. If they are indeed ground accelerations, you can probably get hold of some standard texts on how the UBC morphs ground accelerations into seismic coefficients. There are 3 or 4 bugger factors to account for the type of structure, the site-structure resonance, the importance factor and such. You can just mimic that process with your ground accelerations.

You shouldn't use just the ground accelerations. That would leave out the effect of the building dynamics and would be very unconservative.

As far as the probabilities are concerned, my own personal opinion is that it's generally nonsense. You never know where that 50 or 100 year repetition cycle actually started or how carefully mother nature times these things. I've always been something of a skeptic when it comes to statistical methods and I figure the big one will happen the day after closing.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/