From: Rich Lewis <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:50:52 -0500
Subject: Seismic Response Spectrum

I was given seismic design criteria for an overseas project that is not typical of what is used in the IBC code.  The design criteria given to me is:

Peak Horizontal Ground Acceleration:

0.17(g) - 10% over 10 years.
0.28(g) - 10% over 100 years.

I was wondering how this information can be utilized in an equivalent static force analysis.  IBC uses an acceleration response spectrum having a 2 percent probability of exceedance within a 50 year period.  Seems to me I’m mixing apples and oranges with this criterion.  My seismic texts don’t show a method for taking raw data like this and translating it into an equivalent static force system.  Is it possible?

Thanks.

Rich